Tuesday, December 20, 2011

December in Tarawa


The was a week of firsts.  We had our first teaching experience.  The Elders asked us to go visit an investigator that was questioning why we worship on Sunday rather than Saturday.  Sister Bonnemort did the research and found that along with many other laws, the Sabbath was changed to honor Christ on the day he was resurrected or Sunday.  We talked to him about the Savior, the Great Apostasy, the Restoration, the Book of Mormon, and pray to know the truth through the Holy Ghost.  We also shared the first vision as recorded by Joseph Smith.  We sure felt the Spirit.  I was funny, we didn't even know it at the time, but I came home and reviewed the first lesson in Preach my Gospel, and we had covered the lesson...that is teaching by the Spirit.    




Movie Night with the Couples.  Every Friday night we have movie night at the Ogborns.  They have a big screen projector that is cool.  Feels like just at home.  This night watched the Christmas Devotional.  We also decided to make our first Pizza.  Now this is no easy task here, but we seemed to manage just fine.  We had pineapple, bacon, olives, sausage, onions, mushrooms, and of course...
   the CHEESE....We have tried to find "real cheese", but there isn't any, and so this is the next best thing....But it tasted really quite good.  We even had a pizza stone for cooking.  And since the Ogborn's oven only cooks on high, it was just the right temperature for pizza.
 We stopped to see the Sisters the other day, and they were working on book bags for the Elders for Christmas.  Note the sewing machine.  It must be from 1890, it has a crank to run it.  Sister Barlow said that it worked just fine.
 This is Sister Valo "hand winding" the bobbin.  
 
Well we didn't find a Christmas tree in a store or on a lot, but we did find this one in our closet.  It has lights, but wouldn't you know it...they don't work.  
The stocking were hung by the A/C with care.....


This is our end of the year Relief Society Social.  We went to a park and everybody cleaned up garbage for a couple of hours.  Then they burned all the garbage.  The park is full of garbage because they don't have any garbage cans for people to use.  After all the work was done, we all sat in a big circle in the dirt. All ages participated.  You can see me running around the circle to get back to my place before the person I dropped the rock on could get up and catch me.  It's hard to run in the dirt when its so hot and humid, but you can see I'm so ahead of the person chasing me you can't even see her.
I don't know why I had to get up and dance in this game.  I must of done something stupid so I had to go to the middle and dance.

Can you see the sisters are actually clapping while I dance.  It's obvious they don't see much dancing or they would know how bad I am!

These ladies may look mild mannered, but if the rock gets placed behind their back, they all can pop up and run like the wind!
You are never to old to get up and dance!

We got our first set of Elders from America this week.  This is Elder Decker from Iowa, and Elder Mickelson from Idaho.  They are both smiling, which is good, since the ride from the Airport is quite shocking, not only the rough road, but the scenery.  I checked on them later in the week and they say they are loving it...!  

 
Sister Bonnemort giving her "nurse" speech.  


  Elder Anderson, Tebwakanwakin, Eriabu, Brother Toromon, (performed the Baptism) and Elder Anderl.  
We attended another baptism this week. Although we can't understand a lick of the language, the Spirit always speaks so strongly. Tebwakanwakin is the niece of Sister Florence who works at the Service Center, another of her family to join the church.  She says she has many, many more to go.  

 The kids grip the arm of the Baptizer and seem so scared, but after they come out of the water, they always have a great big smile.  
 It was kind of funny when Toromon baptized Tebwakanwakin, I think he was afraid of drowning her.  Had to send her down three times.  
We were driving this week and I couldn't help but take this picture of the little boy running w/o clothes pushing the tire.  Note the mother close behind chasing him....These kids are so cute.  


We are excited to celebrate our Savior's birth and wish a Merry Christmas to all our friends and family.  We miss and love you all.  May this New Year bring you all much happiness and success and may the Lord's blessings reach you and your family.

Elder and Sister Bonnemort
  

2 comments:

  1. I always love reading your blogs. I can only imagine the culture shock you are going through.

    When I went to Hong Kong, it took me 6 months before I would eat any meat. Everything was soooo strange to me.

    Emily seems to be doing well. She is anxious about the up coming Christmas party.

    I will go up in the afternoon and help her where I can. I had some surgery last week on my wrist. I thought I would recover much faster than I have. Mark and Emily fixed us dinner Sunday. It was awesome.

    Have a great Christmas.
    Love Ed and Lois

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow...it looks like you guys are adjusting well and doing just great! Such an amazing experience for you guys.

    Hope you guys have a Merry Christmas!

    Love,
    The Berlin's:)

    ReplyDelete